N. M. Eftakharul Alam Bhuiya obtained his LL.B (Hons) degree and LL.M in Commercial Law securing First Class from the University of Dhaka, the leading university of Bangladesh. He has a broad legal background with more than eight years of experience on corporate commercial law. He is enrolled as an Advocate to the Supreme Court of Bangladesh.
Prior to joining Legal Circle, Eftakhar worked as acting Head of Legal Department of bKash Limited, the largest Mobile Financial Services (MFS) provider in the world. He was a member of Central Compliance Unit (CCU) and Dispute Resolution Team of bKash in addition to Acting Head of Legal Department.
Prior to that, he has worked as Legal Counsel of Grameenphone Ltd., the largest Mobile Network Operator (MNO) of Bangladesh. He has also worked for two reputed law firms and a Real Estate company of Bangladesh.
Eftakhar’s area of expertise covers Telecom Laws, Banking & MFS Laws, Corporate Finance & Securities Law, Intellectual Property, Labour and Land Laws.
Eftakhar’s detailed profile can be found on: https://www.linkedin.com/in/eftakharul-alam-bhuiya-73a8b654?trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile
RECENT REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS:
Business Incorporation/ Registration.
- Eftakhar advises on formation of foreign, joint venture and local businesses and liaison offices at the Registrar of Joint Stock (RJSC) and Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA). He has advised in the formation of business in ITES (information technology enabled services), consultancy, telecommunications and real estate sectors in Bangladesh.
Agreement Drafting and Review.
- Eftakhar has drafted exclusive and non-exclusive distributorship and agency agreements for MFS provider, telecommunication service provider, international freight & forwarding agent, transport and human resource service provider in Bangladesh.
- Drafted many landmark agreements for bKash including but not limited to Remittance Agreement with Western Union & MasterCard, NID Access Agreement with Election Commission, HR Outsourcing Agreement, Data Centre Agreement, Call Centre Agreement etc. and introduced new KYCs for its customers, agents, merchants etc.
- Reviewed Master Agreement for sharing of Passive Infrastructure of Grameenphone with (i) Banglalink, (ii) Augere, (iii) Fibre@Home, (iv) Summit Communication Ltd., (v) Bangladesh Internet Exchange Limited, and Joint Venture Network Expansion Agreement among Grameenphone-Banglalink-Robi at Jamuna Future Park, Dhaka, the largest network expansion project of the country.
Human Resources & Employment Issues.
- Drafted and implemented Human Resources (HR) Policy for banks, garments and MFS provider in Bangladesh.
- Advised both employers and employees regarding termination and dismissal procedure, claims arising thereto, compensation package and disciplinary matters. He was a member of disciplinary hearing committee of the leading MFS provider in several occasions.
- Drafted policy document and agreement on Gratuity and Provident Funds in light of local labour and tax laws.
- Drafted/reviewed employment agreement, confidentiality agreement, policies etc.
- Represented both employers and employees in Labour Court on employment dispute.
- Advised clients in participating tender of mobile number portability (MNP) conducted by Bangladesh Telecommunication and Regulatory Commission (BTRC) and supply of electrical meter and other equipment called by BREB, BPDB, DESCO etc.
- Conducted due diligence and provided legal opinion on 649 acres land documents of Cox’s Bazaar for a 200MW Solar Power Project in Bangladesh.
- Vetted land documents of Purbachal, Dhaka and registered 55 acres land with the concerned registration office for a renowned real estate company.
- Reviewed legal documents and provided legal opinion to construct 1000+ BTS for the leading mobile network operator (MNO) in Bangladesh.
SPEAKING & TRAINING ENGAGEMENTS:
- Speaker at “GPAccelerator Info Session: Legal Aspects of Startups”, held on 12 February, 2017 (https://sdasia.co/2017/02/19/43256/), organized by Grameenphone Ltd. and SD Asia Ltd.
- Mentor at “GP Accelerator Program: Batch 2”, 28 September, 2016, organized by Grameenphone Ltd. and SD Asia Ltd.
- Conducted training titled “Drafting of Commercial Agreements” and “Impact of Competition Act, 2012 and Roadmap of Compliance” for bKash Limited.
Co-Author of Bangladesh Chapter of “LexisNexis Mergers & Acquisitions Law Guide 2017”, published by Lexis-Nexis (a reputed international legal publication company).