Anita Ghazi Rahman
LL.B. (Hons), University College London (UCL)
Barrister-at-Law, of Lincoln’s Inn
Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh
Anita Ghazi Rahman defines law as her calling. She obtained her LL.B. (Hons) degree from University College London (UCL) in 2002 and was called to the Bar of England and Wales from Lincoln’s Inn in July 2003, completing her Bar Vocational Course with “Merit” from The College of Law. Anita qualified as an Advocate in Bangladesh in 2004, as Advocate of the High Court Division of Bangladesh Supreme Court in 2006 and as Advocate of the apex Court, the Appellate Division of the Bangladesh Supreme Court in 2018.
Anita focuses her practice on company, general corporate law and dispute resolution. She provides corporate and transactional advice with respect to business formation, employment, financing, IP, services and procurement contracts, joint ventures, mergers & acquisitions and other business restructurings and also advises on the acquisition, development, and disposition of commercial, industrial and residential real estate. Anita heads the firm’s Litigation practice.
Anita has been listed amongst the “Inspiring individuals to follow in 2015 in Bangladesh” in Dhaka Tribune, Future Startup’s “15 Under 35 For 2015: Entrepreneurs, Trailblazers, Mold-Breakers Of Bangladesh” and has been featured in the book "From Stones to Castles : In conversation with 16 inspiring personalities of Bangladesh" and “Aine Tarunno”. She is a Asia 21 Young Leader for the Class of 2016 (http://asiasociety.org/asia21-young-leaders) and one of the initial signatories to the Belt & Road Legal Service International Cooperation Platform.
Anita is the Founder of The Legal Circle and Founder of Think Legal Bangladesh (www.thinklegalbangladesh.com - the first of its kind, free open and crowd-sourced web-based legal resources platform), as well as the Founder and Publisher of Legal Circle Law Reports (LCLR).
Anita Ghazi Rahman serves on the Boards of a number of non-profits and professional associations, and Mentors for national and international incubator and accelerator programmes. Anita is an active mentor in the startup ecosystem since its nascent stages; and frequently mentors for BetterStories, Founders’ Institute, GP Accelerator, LightCastle Center for Advanced Learning, Seedstars, Startup Dhaka, YGAP and BYLC Ventures, among others. She sits on the Board of Bangladesh Angels Network (BAN).
Anita is an Independent Director of Chittagong Stock Exchange, previously having served as Independent Director of Golden Harvest Agro Industries Limited, and is a Member of the National Advisory Board for Impact Investment in Bangladesh.
She serves on the Board of iSocial, a social impact company empowering communities through women entrepreneurship, on the boards of Jaago Foundation and Samdani Art Foundation, spearheading the bi-annual Dhaka Art Summit (DAS).
The Legal Circle is committed to giving back and Anita Ghazi has an established reputation for her pro bono work, spending a substantial amount of time on helping initiatives she finds are capable of making a difference for a better Bangladesh. She regularly advises home grown not-for-profits and also foreign NGOs, non-profits and donor agencies, the latter through iProbono and Thomson Reuters Foundation.
Recent Representative Matters:
- Mentor & Director, Founder Institute, Bangladesh Chapter (fi.co), the world’s largest entrepreneur training program.
- Mentor, Grameen Phone Accelerator (gpa.co), 3rd batch, "Startup Legal", 23 March 2017.
- Speaker, School of Entrepreneurship Lecture Series, "Intellectual Property", 4 February 2017. Organised by Junction Ventures.
- Panelist, "The State of Social Enterprise in Bangladesh" , 9 October 2016. Organised by the British Council.
- Mentor, Grameen Phone Accelerator (gpa.co), 2nd batch, "Startup Legal and Intellectual Property", 27 September 2016.
- Speaker at “Legal Framework for Entrepreneurs”, 6 February, 2016. Event organized by Bangladesh Startup Lab.
- Panelist, “Tech Women Conference at Digital World 2015”, 9 February, 2015.
- Speaker at the “GIST Bangladesh Startup Boot Camp”, May 22-24, 2014.
- Panelist, “E-Learning in Bangladesh”, 13 December 2014.
- Mentor, “Legal Workshop for Startups”, at GrameenPhone presents Innovation Xtreme, 22 November 2014.
- “Corporate Law and Public-Private Cooperation in Political Development”, Co-Speaker at the Joint IPSA Conference in Bangladesh, 2014.
- “Access to Laws Online”, Featured Speaker at TEDxDhaka, 2012.
- “Mitigating risk and fraud successfully”, Speaking Engagement for Prepaid Cards Asia Conference 2010, Singapore.
- Publisher & Co-Editor of LCLR (Legal Circle Law Reports), a quarterly law report.
- Editor of Think Legal Bangladesh – thinklegalbangladesh.com. Think Legal is one of the first free legal resource websites in Bangladesh.
- "Framing a social enterprise law", published in The Daily Star on 13 June 2017.
- Lead Author of Bangladesh Section of "The Employment Law Review", 8th Edition.
- Co-Author of Bangladesh Section of “The International Comparative Guide to: Project Finance 2016 & 2017”, published by the Global Legal Group.
- Co-Author of Bangladesh Section of “Laws on Telecom and Media 2013”, Getting the Deal Through.
- “Cross Border Merger and Acquisitions – the new frontier”, written in conjunction with Mr. Masud Khan. Published in The Financial Express on 26 May 2010.
- “An easy conversion”, published in The Daily Star on 25 May 2010.