B.A. Anthropology and Law,
London School of Economics (LSE)
PGD-BVC College of Law London,
Advocate, Dhaka Bar
Barrister of Lincoln’s Inn
Mohibul Hassan Chowdhoury obtained Bachelor of Arts (BA. Hons) Degree in Anthropology and Law from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) in 2006 and completed Post Graduate in Bar Vocational Course (BVC) from The College of Law, London in 2007. He was called to the Bar as a Barrister of Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn in 2008 and was licensed to practice law in Bangladesh in 2010. He has 5 years post-qualified experience as a practicing lawyer.
- Recently been instructed by Facebook Inc. as their resident Counsel in Bangladesh to assist Facebook on Bangladeshi technology, data-protection, anti-corruption and telecommunication laws.
- Routinely advises a Finland based technology outsourcing company on their operational subsidiary in Bangladesh.
- Appointed as a Legal Specialist in Local Government Strengthening Project by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), as part of a team consisting of consultants from Padeco Japan Ltd and Deloitte Tohmatsu Financial Advisory LLC, reviewing local government laws and regulations (on going assignment).
- As trusted advisor has advised international sourcing companies such as Tesco, Elevate Ltd, Centax, on transaction and employment matters and has represented foreign clients in BGMEA Arbitration Centre.
- Currently engaged in assisting an India based energy company as a junior Counsel in a 750 MW combined cycle power plant project.
- Advised a rental power plant in their re-negotiation of power purchase agreement with Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB).
- On behalf of UK based company Clarke Energy which as an authorized distributor of General Electronics equipment in Bangladesh for power plants, Mohibul has undertaken equity share/capital issuance work at the Bangladesh Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Assisted a local EPC contractor in a Power Plant (Energypac Bangladesh) in an income tax litigation at the High Court of Bangladesh, and successfully obtained interim relief against realization of assessed tax for three financial years.
- Advised Singapore based telecom giant SingTel and a technology company on indemnification, liability and negligence issues.
- Assisted in recovery of foreign currency assets of a Bangladeshi national from an off-shore bank based in Isle of Man;
- Assisting contentious debt recovery/creditor's winding up matter on behalf of a Hong Kong based technology finance company.
- Assisting in acquisition of strategic stakes for Hong Kong based private equity firms.
- Assisted in a claim against a local supplier/exporter on behalf of a major cotton manufacturer based in Thailand.
- Advising in two Joint-venture projects involving two major Japanese groups and Bangladesh based business houses.
- Assisted to obtain injunction against enforcement of irrevocable Bank Guarantee in High Court in a revenue sharing agreement with the state telecom company.
- Filed Judicial Review/Writ Petition in High Court against Local Authority over advertising standard and licensing.
- Advising a Stock Brokerage house on violation of securities and banking company laws.
- Advising a listed company on de-materialisation and transmission of shares following succession.
- Worked with/received instructions from, international law firms, Matheson LLP (Ireland), Paul Weiss, Prior Cashman (USA), Osborne Clarke (UK, France, Netherlands, and Germany offices), King and Wood Malleson LLP. (Worked with Hong Kong office and Sydney office in Australia)
- Advised BD Venture Limited, a venture capital firm in its investment in Edtech startup, Eshosikhi.com.
In 2014 Mohibul was elected as a Director of Chittagong Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Industries (CMCCI), a trade organization approved by the Ministry of Commerce for which he routinely undertakes research on business laws and regulations. He is also an associate member of Association of Television Channel Owners (ATCO) and Shaheen Golf and Country Club
Mohibul is currently serving as the Deputy Minister of Education and a Member of Parliament for Chittagong - 9 constituency. In line with the constitutional obligation he is not allowed to exercise rights of audience in Court and sign as an Advocate while holding ministerial portfolio. He is however able to advice and act as a consultant provided the instructions have no conflict with this ministerial responsibility.